Tax Associate (Consultant)
The CASH Campaign of Maryland provides direct services and advocates for policies that increase the financial security of low to moderate-income individuals and families in Baltimore City and across Maryland. In collaboration with a broad set of partners and volunteers, The CASH Campaign provides a range of high impact programs that help people build financial security, reduce poverty and return millions of dollars back to low income people and communities. These programs reach over 23,000 households annually and include free tax preparation, financial coaching, financial education, and public benefits assistance. The CASH Campaign works to build a network of organizations and practitioners dedicated to promoting financial security and economic mobility for low income people in Maryland and across the region. This is accomplished by hosting convenings, providing technical assistance, and supporting the growth of other coalitions.
This position provides support to a statewide network of free tax preparation programs to ensure they have the tools and training they need to deliver high quality services that help people reach financial stability. Responsibilities also include supporting tax volunteers, Community Fellows, and interns in their experience to successfully learn and produce outcomes for our partner programs. This position reports to the Director of Tax Partnerships.
PRINCIPAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Technical Assistance – 60%
- Provide assistance and support to a network of partner organizations that offer free tax preparation.
- Provide tax site management, quality review, and tax preparation as needed to support partners.
- Support volunteer recruitment for partner organizations as needed.
- Assist with ordering and dissemination of tax site materials.
- Facilitate and support trainings for partners and interested stakeholders on tax law and asset building topics via video, webinar, presentations, and tool-kits.
- Manage collection and dissemination of client stories.
Capacity Building Programs Support – 20%
- Work with Director of Tax Partnerships to create a recruitment and training plan for the Maryland Community Fellows program.
- Publicize Maryland Community Fellows Program through social media as well as other traditional recruitment outlets.
- Coordinate and conduct phone interviews with potential candidates and assist with placement of new candidates with local partners.
- Support evaluation and outcome tracking of several programs.
Other – 20%
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and best practices.
- Assist with community outreach including dissemination of marketing and outreach materials.
- Attend and participate in internal and external meetings and professional development opportunities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree with of five years of experience in a tax or accounting related field. Experience working with a non-profit organization, coalition or an asset building program is desirable.
- Ability to take the IRS Site Manager training then pass the VITA/TCE Volunteer Exam at the advanced level (IRS Publication 6744).
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse organizations and people.
- Ability meet deadlines and juggle multiple tasks.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, comfortable with updating web content and e-communications platforms (Constant Contact).
- Highly motivated, self-starter with interest working in a fast-paced organization.
- Ability and means to travel around the state on a flexible schedule as needed to complete work assignments.
- Ability to work on a flexible schedule to meet the needs of our partner organizations including some evenings weekends during tax season (January – April).
This is a contract position with an hourly rate of $25-$30 an hour commensurate with experience. To apply please end resume and cover letter to Keisha@cashmd.org. An Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls please.