Free Tax Preparation / Resources
All tax appointments through April 18 are full. April 18 is the IRS filing deadline. If you need to file your taxes, please consider preparing your taxes using free tax software.
Do it Yourself: Use Free Software to do your own tax return. Click here to start now
NEW: Maryland State tax filing deadline has been extended to July 15, 2022. You do not need to apply for this extension. To learn more click here. The federal deadline for filing remains April 18, 2022.
NEW: If you received the Advance Child Tax Credit you will need to bring the new IRS Form 6419 to your tax appointment. To view an example of this form or learn more about this tax credit please visit the IRS website.
You must make an appointment to use our drop off services. Please call 410-234-8008 M-F 9:00 am-2:00 pm. Please note: Tax returns are not prepared while you wait. Below are the steps or check out this video for more information:
FIRST Appointment: Drop Off Documents
- At your drop off appointment, please bring everything in the Documents List (see below). CASH will make copies and you keep your originals – expect this to take twenty (20) minutes. Make sure to bring everything you need from the document list!
- We will schedule a second appointment to meet with you by phone to prepare your return.
- Be Safe!
- Wear a face mask!
- We will meet with you behind plexiglass and ask questions.
- Please be on time. To prevent lines, we cannot see you if you are more than five (5) minutes late.
- We cannot meet with anyone who is not complying with COVID safety protocols. If you are ill, stay home and reschedule your appointment.
SECOND Appointment: Tax Preparation
- Our tax preparer will meet with you by phone to complete your return.
- Once the return is complete, a quality reviewer will discuss your return with you then send it to you by a safe encrypted email to sign electronically. Your tax preparer will help you sign it electronically.
- We file the return with the IRS and state for you.
- A social security card for EACH family member.
- Every taxpayer must bring their picture ID.
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked in 2021.
- Bank routing and account number to direct deposit your refund. Voided checks work best. Refunds may be placed in more than one account.
- Child care provider name, address, and tax ID number.
- A copy of last year’s tax return may be needed.
- Any document or information about money you have received from the IRS or Maryland.
- All 1099 forms for other income, if any.
- Form 1095-A if you received the Premium Tax Credit to help pay health insurance.
- **NEW** Form 6419 Advance Child Tax Credit
- Form 6475 Economic Impact Payment (stimulus) please bring a IRS letter or other records to determine how much you received.
- Any other tax related documents you have received.
Get help to file your Maryland State tax return for free.
All sites offer US Savings Bonds – Did you know you can buy savings bonds with part of your refund straight from your tax return? Tax time is the only time of year you can buy a paper bond to give as a gift!
Federal level: NEW! Unemployment Income received in 2021 is taxable. See IRS guidance for how to file.
State level: Unemployment insurance benefits from the state income tax for individuals earning less than $75,000, and couples filing jointly or individual heads of households earning less than $100,000
Choose a Tax Preparer Wisely
Visit the Maryland Department of Labor website to see if your tax professional is registered:
Check out the IRS website for tips to choose a reputable tax preparer
Become an Advocate Today!
The CASH Campaign of Maryland engages in advocacy at the local, state, and federal levels. Our goal is to elevate the voices of those we serve.