Free Tax Preparation Resources
Free Tax Preparation
Free tax preparation sites in the Baltimore metro area are now taking appointments. To make an appointment anytime online click HERE or call 410-234-8008 Monday – Friday 9 am – 2 pm.
- You MUST have all of your tax documents to schedule an appointment. We cannot prepare any tax return without all of your documents. Please see below for the complete list of what you need to have ready.
- We serve individuals or families with a household income of $64,000 or below. This income guideline is set by the IRS.
- We are currently only preparing 2023 tax returns. We will open a ‘back tax clinic’ later in the year where we will prepare returns from 2018-2022. Please check back in April of 2024 to sign up for an appointment for this assistance.
Cancel or Reschedule Tax Appointment:
Our appointments are limited, so if you are unable to make your scheduled appointment please let us know so we can remove you from our system and make room for others! If you would like to reschedule you must first cancel your appointment. We can help you do this if you complete this short form. You can also call 410-234-8008 Monday-Friday from 9 am – 2 pm to cancel and/or reschedule. Please understand that this scheduling line is busy and wait times may be long.
When you come to the FREE tax location, bring the following:
- A Social Security card for each family member and photo ID for each taxpayer
- Form 1095 A (a health insurance form you may have received in the mail)
- Form 1099 G Unemployment
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked in 2023
- All tax forms for other income, if any
- Letter from child care provider with address, Tax ID number, name of child and amount paid
- All banking account information (voided check and/or savings deposit slip) to direct deposit your refund (up to three separate accounts!)
- A copy of last year’s tax return
- Any document or information about money from the IRS or Maryland
- Any other tax related documents you have received
- Every adult on your return must come to sign
All sites offer US Savings Bonds – Did you know you can buy savings bonds with part of your refund straight from your tax return? Tax time is the only time of year you can buy a paper bond to give as a gift!
All unemployment received in 2023 is taxable on the federal and Maryland tax returns. For 2020 and 2021 the federal and Maryland governments reduced or eliminated the tax on unemployment. This is no longer true. If you received unemployment in 2023, be aware that you may owe more when filing your tax return.
Choose a Tax Preparer Wisely
Visit the Maryland Department of Labor website to see if your tax professional is registered:
Check out the IRS website for tips to choose a reputable tax preparer:
File your Maryland State tax return for free.
Try Tax Prep on Your Own!
Want to try preparing your own taxes with the help of FREE tax software? Some online tools are available through the IRS Free File Program.
Information en Espanol
Partner Tax Sites
Information en Espanol
Become an Advocate Today!
The CASH Campaign of Maryland engages in advocacy at the local, state, and federal levels. Our goal is to elevate the voices of those we serve.