Free Tax Preparation / Resources
Free Tax Preparation
The CASH Campaign provides free tax preparation for taxpayers with income under $60,000 per year.
- If you are looking for a location outside of Baltimore City/County please see our list of partners HERE.
- Appointments for tax sites in the Baltimore area are now closed. We will provide tax services for tax years 2018 – 2022 by appointment. See below to sign up for assistance.
- To use free tax preparation software, please go HERE
Back Tax Program: Do you have old returns that need to be filed? The CASH Campaign will begin preparing these returns in May. Please complete the interest form HERE and one of our staff or volunteers will reach out to you to schedule an appointment.
When you come to the FREE tax location, bring the following:
- A Social Security card for each family member and photo ID for each taxpayer
- Form 1095 A (a health insurance form you may have received in the mail)
- Form 1099 G Unemployment
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked in 2022
- All tax forms for other income, if any
- Letter from child care provider with address, Tax ID number, name of child and amount paid
- All banking account information (voided check and/or savings deposit slip) to direct deposit your refund (up to three separate accounts!)
- A copy of last year’s tax return
- Any document or information about money from the IRS or Maryland
- Any other tax related documents you have received
- Every adult on your return must come to sign
All sites offer US Savings Bonds – Did you know you can buy savings bonds with part of your refund straight from your tax return? Tax time is the only time of year you can buy a paper bond to give as a gift!
All unemployment received in 2022 is taxable on the federal and Maryland tax returns. For 2020 and 2021 the federal and Maryland governments reduced or eliminated the tax on unemployment. This is no longer true. If you received unemployment in 2022, be aware that you may owe more when filing your tax return.
Choose a Tax Preparer Wisely
Visit the Maryland Department of Labor website to see if your tax professional is registered:
Check out the IRS website for tips to choose a reputable tax preparer
Get help to file your Maryland State tax return for free.
Become an Advocate Today!
The CASH Campaign of Maryland engages in advocacy at the local, state, and federal levels. Our goal is to elevate the voices of those we serve.