Free Tax Preparation / Resources
Let Us Prepare Your Tax Return:
If you made $57,000 or less in 2020 you may qualify for FREE tax preparation!
CASH and its partners are part of an IRS program to help prepare and electronically file your federal and state tax return for FREE. We check that you receive tax credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit, and help you get your refund fast with direct deposit! Start by calling 410-234-8008 M-F 9:00 am – 3:00 pm, then choose between Virtual or Drop-Off tax prep services. Keep your money, you earned it!
Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic there is a limited number of free tax prep appointments available this year. Wait times to reach our scheduling line may be unusually long and we understand this is frustrating. We are working to add more appointments as soon as we can. We want our clients to be assured we remain committed to delivering them the best services possible, as safely as possible. Our clients still remain our first priority.
Get Help With Your Taxes
Virtual: CASH is offering free tax preparation virtually (by phone/computer).
- Make an appointment by calling 410-234-8008 M-F 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
- You will be sent an email with a secure link that will enable you to open a special app where you can upload your tax documents and contact information for your tax preparer.
- CASH staff will prepare your tax return then review it with you at your scheduled tax appointment. You can join this appointment by Zoom or by phone.
- Once your tax return is complete we will send it to you electronically by an app or encrypted email. Your tax preparer will help you sign it electronically then file it with the IRS and the state.
You must make an appointment to use our drop off services. Please call 410-234-8008 M-F 9:00 am-3:00 pm. Please note: Tax returns are not prepared while you wait. Below are the steps or check out this video for more information:
FIRST Appointment: Drop Off Documents
- At your drop off appointment, please bring everything in the Documents List (see below). CASH will make copies and you keep your originals – expect this to take fifteen (15) minutes. Make sure to bring everything you need from the document list!
- We will schedule a second appointment to meet with you by phone to prepare your return.
- Be Safe!
- Wear a face mask!
- We will meet with you behind plexiglass and ask questions.
- Please be on time. To prevent lines, we cannot see you if you are more than five (5) minutes late.
- We cannot meet with anyone who is not complying with COVID safety protocols. If you are ill, stay home and reschedule your appointment.
SECOND Appointment: Tax Preparation
- Our tax preparer will meet with you by phone to complete your return.
- Once the return is complete, a quality reviewer will discuss your return with you then send it to you by a safe encrypted email to sign electronically. Your tax preparer will help you sign it electronically.
- We file the return with the IRS and state for you.
- A social security card for EACH family member.
- Every taxpayer must bring their picture ID.
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked in 2020.
- Bank routing and account number to direct deposit your refund. Voided checks work best. Refunds may be placed in more than one account.
- Child care provider name, address, and tax ID number.
- A copy of last year’s tax return may be needed.
- Any document or information about money you have received from the IRS or Maryland.
- All 1099 forms for other income, if any.
- Any other tax related documents you have received.
- Form 1095-A if you received the Premium Tax Credit to help pay health insurance.
- Any information about your stimulus checks, please bring a IRS letter, or look in other records to determine how much you received.
Get help to file your Maryland State tax return for free. Click Here to visit the Maryland Comptroller’s website to learn more.
All sites offer US Savings Bonds – Did you know you can buy savings bonds with part of your refund straight from your tax return? Tax time is the only time of year you can buy a paper bond to give as a gift!
Federal level: The newly passed American Rescue Plan Act allows $10,200 ($24,400 if Married, Filing Jointly) of unemployment insurance benefits to be excluded from federal income.
State level: The Maryland RELIEF Act excludes unemployment insurance benefits from the state income tax for individuals earning less than $75,000, and couples filing jointly or individual heads of households earning less than $100,000
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for a list of frequently asked questions
Become an Advocate Today!
The CASH Campaign of Maryland engages in advocacy at the local, state, and federal levels. Our goal is to elevate the voices of those we serve.
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.